Popular Posts

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Finding a Home

We were out on a typical street feed when I first met them. They were walking down the street as we headed to our first homeless camp of the day.


On Tuesdays, we meet at my house, next door to the church, and fellowship over breakfast before wrapping hot dogs and assembling sixty sack lunches to bring out on the streets. We go to homeless camps and homes where food is scarce, and often meet a few people on the road, walking or riding their bikes and in desperate need of a meal.


We had just rounded a corner when I saw them up ahead, walking and carrying two tote bags.


"Look," I said to my husband Dale. He drove because I'd perfected the art of jumping out during a rolling stop with a sack lunch in one hand and a bottle of water in the other.


The van got quiet. The running joke was that I start snapping my teacher fingers if the conversation gets too loud and we miss someone in need.


"I think they may just be coming home from the store," my husband decided. I've offended a few non-homeless people on the streets. But I always say that I'd rather someone get mad at me for offering them food when they don't need it than to pass by someone who does.


He sensed my hesitation. "It's your call," he said.


By then we'd reached them and I rolled my window down. "Hey! We have a couple of hot dog lunches here if you'd like one." Tears welled up in the woman's eyes as the man thanked us.


"Do you think you could give us a ride?" they asked. They had just applied for Section 8 Housing and were on their way back to the Salvation Army, another six miles away. As we drove, they told us their story. Ward and Rhonda from New York. They'd come down to stay with relatives but things didn't work out and they were at the Salvation Army. They had a small social security check coming in but couldn't afford the initial costs to rent their own place.


"This is great!" I exclaimed. "I'm working with an organization that helps homeless people get into apartments by paying their rental deposit, first month's rent, and utility deposit." I gave them the paperwork.


At that point, I'd given out a dozen of these applications. To be eligible you must be homeless and meet income guidelines to show that you can maintain your living expenses after the program pays your initial costs. No-one had returned their paperwork.


Four hours later Ward and Rhonda called me. "We have everything." They'd immediately gone and found an apartment, signed a lease, copied their identifying documents, and filled out their application completely. They were thanking me but the truth was, I was just as grateful. I'd begun to question if I was helping anyone at all or if I was just spinning my wheels.


They came to church a few times but are currently without a vehicle. We occasionally hang out and they call every few days. They continue to call me their "angel" but I believe THEY were sent as an encouragement from the Lord.


"Be not weary in well-doing; for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not." Galatians 6:9 



No comments:

Post a Comment