Popular Posts

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Constant Communion

The older you get, the shorter the time between middle of the night bathroom trips.

When combined my husband and I have accumulated over 100 years of life.

Which means there's a well-worn path between our bed and the potty.

Because I'm such a light sleeper I wake up every time he gets out of the bed.

And he wakes up because I have to move four dogs every time I get out of the bed.

Well, truthfully, I don't HAVE to move them but I do.

Because he's the pushover who lets them IN the bed at the hint of the slightest whimper.

He says they'll whine all night if he doesn't.

I say they'll get over it.

But I don't mind.

Because the truth is we both like the dogs being in the bed for vastly different reasons.

Sure there's the love and all but the truth is a little darker.

Remember our aforementioned ages?

He's older and gets quite cold at night. He claims his hands turn blue if they work their way out from under the corners.

I, on the other hand, sleep in a sauna.

Despite the AC set on 63 degrees (aside to the federal government: go ahead and try to regulate the ac units of menopausal women, I dare you!) AND a fan blowing directly on me, I still burn up at night.

And I do NOT want to be spooning.

So the dogs do the spooning for me and I insincerely complain that we can't snuggle anymore because of them.

It works for both of us.

But we still wake up multiple times during the night.

At this time, I should mention that we are often together throughout the day and when we aren't, we touch base via phone.

Our ministry, our church, outreach, even the brick company we manage...we work together and are both involved in every aspect equally.

So we are in constant communication.

Including throughout the night.

I realized this the other night on about the fifth trip to the bathroom.

We were having some random conversation and it hit me.

We are in constant communion.

Even asleep, we are still so in tune with each other that a conversation ignites automatically the moment we awake.

And while this is great, it also saddened me.

Not because our entire marriage hasn't been this way. (Really, whose has?)

But because this is how our relationship with the Lord should be.

And it isn't.

For many people, including me.

Oh, don't get me wrong.

My relationship with the Lord is stronger than ever.

And I talk to Him daily.

Sometimes many times throughout the day.

But sometimes a few days will pass when I'm so busy working FOR Him that I ignore Him completely.

I just forget.

I know, though, what constant communion with the Lord is like.

I've been there.

Going to sleep praying, waking up in the middle of the night feeling your spirit praising the Lord, waking up refreshed and alive....fyi, no pharmaceutical could ever touch the sleep you get in the Spirit....

But I don't stay there.

I really don't know why, except that I just get so busy.

And I don't make time for the one relationship that matters most.

Father, I pray that I will learn to stay in constant communion with You. To go to sleep talking to You and to remain close throughout the night. To wake up praising You and to continue to talk to You throughout the day. Not just when I need an answer or have a request, but when I drive. Or laugh. Or watch a bird fly across the sky. Help me to see You in everything I do. In everyone I help. And in everything I see. When I start to wander off, draw me back in. Hold me tight so that I won't forget that I'm nothing without You and nothing I do means anything if I don't have You. Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment