Popular Posts

Saturday, July 2, 2016

A Different Kind of Carpool...

I drove my "kids" to a new "daycare" this week.

A mission run by a good friend in Biloxi (about an hour from here), this day shelter serves three hot meals on the days they are open, and allows the homeless men and women to wash clothes and take showers on a first-come, first-serve basis.

It was a new experience for all of us.

I called my crew the night before. I'd already put the word out and had seven people wanting to go so they got reminders. And the pre-event lecture. "Be sober. Be ready. Have your stuff together."

The trip there was uneventful. It was a little after 7 A.M. and we were all still half-asleep.

When we arrived, my friend greeted them with open arms as she lovingly went over the rules.

I had to leave but assured them I'd be back. She assured ME that they were in good hands.

At some point I felt like a mom leaving her babies at daycare and said so.

"MOOOOMMMMY, please come back..." Scooter wailed.

"Don't goooooooo!" Landon cried.

We laughed and I hugged everyone goodbye, feeling more maternal than ever.

A few hours later, a call came up on my cell from the director.

I have to tell you, I was SCARED to answer the phone.

It brought back MANY MANY memories of calls from school principals.

Back then it was almost always Cody, but now there were seven to choose from. Who did what? Will I be banned from coming back? Will she blame me?

I had seven scenarios with seven culprits running through my head when I weakly answered the phone.

"Hello?"

It was just Mickey, calling from the shelter to tell me they were ready to be picked up.

See, I knew my babies hadn't done anything wrong.

When I got back to Biloxi they were exhausted and ready to go.

I had a few stops to make though so I did what any good mom would do.

I popped The Croods in the dvd player and handed them a box of donuts and some sodas. Instant silence!

I love these guys (and girls!). Many are older than me but still call me Mama. Some have families, even if they are estranged, but most of the moms are no longer alive. A surprising number lost their mothers at a very early age. I'm sure there is a correlation in those statistics.

I don't mind being MOM one little bit.

In fact, we have just started planning my birthday party even though it is two months away.

Because this year, all I want for my birthday is a big fish fry in the park with dinner, cake and ice cream, and all my babies, biological AND homeless.

It'll be held on Sept. 17th and I want to be surrounded with the ones I love.

And maybe wear a tiara!



No comments:

Post a Comment