Popular Posts

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Fired Up About Food Stamps

Ministry without compassion is like faith without works...dead.


So I really have to keep myself in check sometimes.


A lot of the time.


Especially when it comes to food stamps.


Nothing gets me fired up more than EBT cards.


Don't get me wrong, I'm okay with the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP). I think it's a great program and I don't mind that taxpayer dollars fund meals for those in need. Especially children.


What causes me to see red is when the yellow cards are traded for green paper.


Homeless people know the buzz words. "Will work for food." "Hungry. Please help."


They know the Bible. "Didn't Jesus say you are supposed to feed a man that's hungry?"


So they call on churches and individuals to help when they need food.


And most do.


But what many don't realize is that 95% of the homeless population get food stamps. In Mississippi, it is $202 a month for one person; $357 for two.


And the vast majority of those sell the stamps for cash.


Some have long-standing arrangements. People will pay them one-half to the full value on the card each month and keep the EBT card in their possession. Others will go with someone to the store, using the card and getting cash afterwards. Some flat out trade the cards for dope, then call and report the card stolen the next day.


It's a huge racket and one that infuriates me.


I've seen food stamps traded for bus tickets and court fines. For cigarettes. For extra minutes on the also-free government phones.


Then I get the calls that they are starving because they have no food.


Sometimes it makes me want to pick up my toys and go home.


There are fines and penalties for those who sell the cards as well as those who purchase them. But who's checking? What kind of taxpayer money should we use to enforce this? It's just more money diverted from real needs.


All we can do is provide those in need with the resources available.


What they do with them is up to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment