Popular Posts

Monday, November 2, 2015

Gilded Turmoil

I've found myself experiencing troubles lately and relating them to the thought patterns of those on the street.

The only problem with the comparison is that I'm overcoming my struggles with luxuries many cannot afford.

Like my recent vacation extension.

I'd been visiting family in Louisiana and Kansas for the past two weeks while my husband held down the fort back home.

Two days before I was scheduled to return home I got a call from him.

The washer was broken, the air conditioner was broken, one of the dogs had a stomach virus (with no washing machine to clean soiled rags), and, as if that wasn't enough, torrential rains had flooded the area and three of the front windows were leaking extensively.

I was cool, dry, and clean at my mom and dad's house. This was not a burden I wanted to share.

But I came home anyway.

I realized on the way home, dreading my return and selfishly wanting to continue my "me" time, that this is a pattern many of the homeless get into.

You just get so frustrated that you stop trying. One thing goes wrong, then another...

But I didn't suffer. My vacation was extended as we got a discounted rate at the local Holiday Inn.  A church member is doing our laundry and the windows were fixed.

They can't be opened but they don't leak!

The a/c should be fixed tomorrow.

I've done a few things on the streets in the midst of this all.

But not much.

It is hard to get out of the "me" mindset the longer you stay in it.

Once again I am reminded of how I am not that far removed from those on the streets after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment