Popular Posts

Friday, November 6, 2015

Ohio: More Than Football

Ohio has more than football going for it in my book.

I just got off the phone with Derek, a dear homeless friend we sent to Ohio via Greyhound. While it didn't work out at his father's house, he did land at a local mission.

Sober for over three months, Derek is attending classes and working towards rehousing.

Which is where I applaud Ohio.

I assumed Section 8 regulations were the same across the nation since it is a federal program. But this isn't the case.

There are varying rules regarding felons.

In Mississippi, convicted felons are ineligible for Section 8 housing regardless of the crime or time served.

Which at one time I agreed with.

But then I met Derek. On disability and unable to work, Derek couldn't afford to maintain housing on his $700/month income and pay utilities, groceries, and household expenses.

So he lived in the woods.

"Tell me," he'd say, "how if I paid my debt to society, I'm still having to pay for my crimes?"

He'd been out of the criminal system for eight years, having served his time for drug-related offenses.

He had a point. It was akin to double jeopardy.

Besides, I'd rather see ex-offenders in homes somewhere than roaming the streets day and night.

But that is apparently a Mississippi dictum.

He is now on the waiting list for Ohio's Section 8 housing.

It may take awhile, but at least he's being given a chance to succeed.




No comments:

Post a Comment