Popular Posts

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

MERRY CHRISTMAS

I pray that you all have a wonderful Christmas!

Ours is half over, if you count the family celebrations. Having celebrated "Nana and PawPaw's Saturday Before Christmas" Christmas last week-end, we had a great meal and opened gifts with my parents, my sister and her family, and my four kids. Joined by the longtime boyfriends of my oldest and youngest daughters, we enjoyed sharing old traditions and making new ones. (A fairly mild first-ever family game of "Dirty Santa" turned vicious when oldest grandchild Callie stole a S'more Fondue Pot from youngest grandchild Emma.)

We decided this year to spend Christmas Eve and Christmas with the grandkids. My husband's son and his wife just had their fourth child and we are excited to spend the day with them. It's been a few years since our own four kids were living at home and we've miss the childhood excitement of Christmas.

I've been cooking for two days, planning a SHRIMP FEAST for Christmas Eve (shrimp fettucini, lemon pepper shrimp, shrimp etouffee, shrimp cocktail, shrimp and grits, kung pao shrimp, and shrimp mac-n-cheese) and the more traditional dishes for Christmas Day (turkey and dressing, corn casserole, green bean casserole, etc.). Not to mention the fudge! I've made every kind of fudge I could think of: chocolate, chocolate walnut, chocolate pecan, caramel, peanut butter, cappuchino, candy bar, cookie dough, white chocolate...

But I know it's not about the food...or the presents...

Last year, I wouldn't even celebrate Christmas. We just went out on the streets. I felt bad that I had a home and they didn't. I brought turkey plates and desserts.

This year I have a slightly different perspective.

I've been out a few times this week.

And I've brought fudge.

But I should not feel guilty for spending Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with my family. I should not feel bad that I've spent most of my time cooking (and celebrating my anniversary) this week.

The Lord has given me this marriage and this family to cherish.

That can't take a backseat to ministry.

When it does, everything gets out of order and the ministry ends up suffering more.

So this year I will give my husband a gift he's asked for all year...my undivided attention.

But even that won't detract from the real reason we are even celebrating.

It's about Christ. His glorious birth and life here on earth...

Have you stopped and REALLY listened to Christmas carols lately? The ones we grew up singing?

Oh come, all ye faithful...

Have you been faithful this year to the Lord?

Come... joyful and triumphant...Why? Because, dear Christian, you have overcome the world.

Joy to the world...

Why? Because you get presents? Or a day off of work?

No! Because THE LORD HAS COME...We should be receiving our King.

In our hearts. In our souls. In our lives.

Don't get me wrong. Presents are great. Holiday food is amazing. Family time is the most special time of all.

Just don't lose sight of the reason for the season.

Especially now, when so many places are saying HAPPY HOLIDAYS or SEASON'S GREETINGS instead.

Not me. I'll shout from the rafters....

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment