Popular Posts

Monday, December 21, 2015

Christmas and Street Corners

Christmastime is a time of joy, and goodwill, to all men. It is an excellent time to teach our children the virtues of giving rather than receiving.


With cases of "affluenza" popping up everywhere, there's no better time than Christmas to reach out to those in need and show the younger generation what the true meaning of the season is all about.


Helping the homeless is the mission of many groups and individuals at Christmastime. Homeless camps and shelters receive an abundance of food, clothing, blankets, and toiletries at this time of year.

It is much needed and much appreciated.

Except for those who aren't truly homeless.

This is where it gets tricky.

Every on- and exit ramp on every major interstate in the country has someone standing with their hand out right now.

A small percentage in the increase of visibility can be attributed to the transient nature of homelessness. Some are trying to get "home" while others are just trying to go. Holidays are hard, even for the most well-adjusted.

But the bigger truth is far darker.

Quite simply, most holding signs at this time of the year aren't even homeless.

Because of my work with the homeless, I know most of the homeless population around here. I also know their families, their friends, and their hangouts.

I meet the newcomers to the area and find out where they are headed, what their plans are.

I don't purport to know everything, nor do I consider myself an expert on homelessness.

I do know what I see.

And right now, I see a lot of people out to make an easy buck.

They know that people are extremely generous this time of year. They know the heavy traffic areas. And they know how to write HOMELESS on a sign to tug at your heartstrings.

You buy their drugs, their alcohol, their cigarettes. Your food bags are tossed into the trash can (if not tossed back in your face) and your goodwill and naivety is laughed at.

Be smart!

If you see a new person in an area you travel often, it is best to keep going. You may feel uncomfortable or even guilty, but remember...GUILT is the devil's tool, not God's.

The "homeless" at the I-10 exit by my house right now are 3 guys and 1 couple. They've taken the 4 ramps. The couple live nearby and have spent time in and out of jail for possession. Two of the guys came over from Alabama. They live 30 minutes away but people know them over there so they are spending their days here. They average $200-$300 a day. The fourth guy is from here but is truly homeless. He is a nomad, traveling as a carnie or working truck stops. He has been gone for a few months but came back to this area since it is home. He doesn't plan to see his family, though, he just wants to be here. I understand, having a strong need to go "home for the holidays" myself. But he just panhandles all day and gets drunk at night, then starts over again. I can't do much more for him than I already have, which is give him a tent, a sleeping bag, a first aid kit, and a phone number to call if he wants to give it all up.

Everyone out there on the streets has the same resources. Food, clothing, beds...these are available to almost everyone. Cold weather shelters are open across the country when the weather drops below a certain temperature.

Every homeless person on the streets has a "rolodex" of ministry cards at their disposal. (This was a wake-up call for me initially. I thought I HAD to help, because no-one else would. I was number four on speed dial.)

The reason many are on the streets and not in shelters is that you are required to pass drug tests or breathalyzers to stay there. There are rules.

Some just don't want to follow the rules.

Having been a rule breaker myself, these are the ones I gravitate toward.

But my help is not in cash for them to get drunk or high. I'm even careful with material goods, having seen a few returned for cash.

My advice is simple:


  • If you want to help the homeless at the Christmas, give to a shelter or organization with a proven track record helping the homeless.
  • Don't give money or food to those at street corners or exit ramps. If someone is truly looking for help, they are most likely not holding a sign.
  • If your church or school group wants to donate to those on the streets, get with your local homeless coalition or a pastor with a street ministry to find the real needs. Some of our "Tent City" residents made over $1000 in drug money by selling (and stealing others') boxes of unused goods last Christmas.
  • Do NOT spend money you don't have on helping others. There are so many ways you can help- and teach your kids to help-the less fortunate: serve at a soup kitchen, make Christmas cards to hand out (we bring out boxes of homemade fudge with kid-decorated cards each year..a favorite on the streets), donate used clothes and toys to a shelter...the list is endless.
Have a very Merry Christmas!




No comments:

Post a Comment