Popular Posts

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

A Little Worm in Your Thinking

I had an experience today that illuminated how easily we can be led astray- all by a little faulty thinking in our minds.

I was reading the local newspaper when the headline SHERIFF NAMES NEW POSSE caught my eye. Intrigued, I read the entire article only to put it down thoroughly confused.

What did he name it?

In the era of Taylor Swift's #squad appearing in newsfeeds daily, I was curious as to what hashtag the sheriff would use for his squad.

#localleos? #boysinblue?

All I got was a list of a bunch of people and their positions.

After a few minutes I realized my error.

He named the MEMBERS of his new administration, not the administration itself.

Realizing how silly my misinterpretation was, I had to remind myself that I was still, indeed, an intelligent woman and anyone could've made that mistake.

But I couldn't let it go.

WHY was I so convinced I'd find a new moniker for the policemen?

And why was it bothering me so much that I'd made that mistake?

Upon prayerful reflection, I recalled an article in which a newly elected sheriff was looking to remove all evidence of the previous administration by changing many things, including the officers' uniforms. Even though this sheriff was in a different county, I hadn't yet made that connection. Nor was it a forethought in my mind as I read the article.

It was just a fuzzy thought, rattling around in my head, gearing my thoughts one way when the writer was of a completely different mindset.

This revelation hit me harder than I realized, which once again made me wonder. Why was this bothering me so much?

When the Lord showed me the magnitude of this simple mistake, I understood.

This is how easily people can be led astray.

It starts with one wrong thought.

And, as in my case, it wasn't even a BAD thought.

It was off, just a little. But it set off a chain of events that send me off on a tangent.

How many people out there just took one wrong step and now they are too lost to find their way back?

That's why we are here. To help the lost find their way back.

While steadfastly renewing our minds so we don't fall into the same snare.


No comments:

Post a Comment