Popular Posts

Friday, May 13, 2016

Misplaced Passion?

My friend and I were talking about witnessing to those we love.

It's hard.

Even Jesus was not received in his hometown so we are in good company when our friends and relatives scoff.

"Oh there you go with your holy-roller sh#@ again!" was one of the first things I heard from a dear loved one shortly after salvation.

If the devil was trying to shut me up, he succeeded.

For fifteen years I've carefully broached any spiritual subject matter with her.

She knew me at my worst so it seemed hypocritical for me to extol the virtues of being Christ-like.

Time gave me credibility, but I was still wary of persecution so I said very little.

I can preach to a roomful of strangers easier than share godly wisdom with a loved one.

Yet the thought of my loved ones not being with me in Heaven is heartbreaking.

So why don't I share more?

Why don't I end every conversation witnessing?

Why am I more worried about where my kids are going this week-end than where they are going after death?

I'm so passionate about those on the streets. Where is that passion for my lost friends and family?

After our discussion I started to examine my heart.

Is it pride? Am I embarrassed? Am I scared? Do I just not care?

My grandmother was one of the most godly women I knew. She loved the Lord first and us second and she made sure we knew it. She wasn't worried that we'd be upset with her; she worried more about letting the Lord down.

There's no doubt in my mind that her unwavering faith along with prayers for those she loved covered me through years of sin until I finally submitted my life to the Lord.

I needed to be more like that. I needed that passion to lead EVERYONE to the Lord.

Yet after the conversation ended I simply moved on, not thinking too much about it again.

Until today.

This week brought about some sad television news.

DiNozzo leaving NCIS. (Heartbreaking.)

Jodie Sweetin voted off DWTS. (One less show to watch.)

Nashville canceled. (Shocked. Upset. Fired Up.)

I found myself posting on various sites, including TV GUIDE MAGAZINE, begging for a Save Our Show campaign.

I was PASSIONATE.

About what?

A t.v. show.

Which, if you've followed this blog from the beginning, you'll know that I didn't watch ANY t.v. for a year and a half after we moved here so that I didn't get my priorities, or my passions, mixed up.

Like I just did.

I hung my head.

Father, forgive me.

May I feel the passion for saving lost souls as strongly as I felt about these shows.

Help me get my priorities straight and speak to those I love with the same boldness I have elsewhere.

Guide me as I start my own Save Our SOULS campaign and do exceedingly more than any social media could ever do....  


No comments:

Post a Comment