Popular Posts

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Eight Days Later...

Oh boy...I can't believe it's been eight days since I've sat down to write.

Or read a book.

Or even sleep more than an hour at a time.

Yet the Spirit in me is as alive and joyful as ever...so I march on!

But I wanted to give a little update, to tell you where I am on this journey, and what is on the horizon.

First, little Kylie went back to her parents a few days ago. They were still with friends as we are trying to get them into their own apartment. Last night, they told Katie she had to leave but the baby and the dad could stay.

The problem, in a nutshell, is that Katie has the mind and attitude of a teenager. Most of you can understand that without any further clarification.

I wasn't sure what the right advice was. For him to send her somewhere for a few days? For him to go with her? Things that seem cut and dry aren't so simple when a child is involved.

In the end she went out of town for a few days and left him with the baby. I'm going to get her tomorrow and keep her until they move into their apartment.

He would've preferred that I get her today but it has been a long week.

We got two of our grandkids (aged 5 and 8) right after Kylie went home last week and have since gone to the movie, bowling, an arcade, the beach, a hotel and its pool, the park, the pier, a putt-putt golf course, and another arcade with bumper cars. As well as entertaining four dogs, several church kids, and terrorizing more than our share of restaurant waiters. The oldest went to bed after midnight, the youngest woke up at 5.

We had a blast, capping off our final outing with friends joining in on top-of-our-lungs renditions of Kidz Bop songs.

But I am tired.

And I couldn't wait for my bed tonight and hopefully eight hours of sleep.

The kids had been dropped off for exactly seven minutes when I got the call to pick up Kylie.

I hope I wasn't wrong by telling him I'd get her tomorrow before church.

That's another thing.

We have our monthly cookout tomorrow before the evening service. Thank heavens for crockpots! I got all of the groceries this afternoon and will get things going before I pick up for the morning service tomorrow.

I went to the store earlier this week and loaded up on diapers, clothes, baby bath, formula, etc. so all I needed from now on was Kylie and her car seat and we were good to go. The only thing I still need is one of those sling carriers and I'll try to leave early enough tomorrow morning to find one.

I loved those things when my third child was born.

I had an 11-month old and a 21-month old at the time so that carrier became my extra set of hands!

Since Kylie cries without human contact, it is going to be imperative that I "wear" her if I'm going to get anything else done.

And ministry doesn't stop because there are kids around.

I found THAT out this week!

My phone still rang 24/7.

Susan needs her glasses picked up from Gulfport. And $108.00. I called organizations and the "free" clinic she ordered them from. No-one can help.

An unexpected expense in having to replace our deep freezer for the fish we store for our benefits wiped out our ministry account.

So I told her I'd pay for half if she came up with the other half.

She'll have to panhandle for it, but if you are panhandling anyway...use it for your needs...

Pitbull, another regular panhandler, flew off the handle this week because no-one will get him a tent.

I've already seen 3 organizations, including me, give him tents that have been burned, slashed, or abandoned.

I know he makes between $100-$150 a day on the off-ramp of I-10 because he's had me go buy him movies and batteries before.

So I suggested he panhandle for tent money and I'd go get it.

Of course, he didn't want that.

But there is a difference between becoming homeless by circumstance and choosing to remain homeless because you want to spend your money on drugs.

And the spice out here is horrible. (Hence slashed and burnt tents.)

And then there's the new supportive housing program.

One girl disappeared off the map after receiving pain meds (her drug of choice) by an ER doctor and another backed out at the (misguided) advice of a local shelter.

I moved on to others in the list only to have both women call yesterday ready for assistance.

It isn't open-ended; I have to choose just one.

I am not sure what I'll do.

On the good news front, we have been approved for a building loan and will start on a parsonage and large open-air pavilion with a full-kitchen soon.

Some great news from my hometown church that a group has adopted our ministry!

We are also still in talks for a building in town to open a day shelter/soup kitchen/counseling center/church services part-time for homeless and poverty-level individuals.

Conversations with a local funeral home have begun the ball rolling for us to maintain a parcel of land for pauper burials maintained by the church.

And we are considering plans for an acre on the back of  the church property...Community walking trail? Community garden? Cabins for retreats and/or mission groups to come in and help with the homeless?

I want to do it all! But we are exploring options...and state codes...

All of this came in the midst of the arcade, beach, bowling alley...

So it has been an exciting and fulfilling week!

And I'm excited for the future. I'm not sure exactly what all will come to fruition and what may lead to disappointment but it is a journey that I'm ready and willing to take.

Please keep us in prayers...we have a big fish fry this weekend where we will film the final segment for The Catfish Charlie tv show pilot, several homeless dr/state bldg appointments this week, "couple" time that will have to be canceled because of Kylie (all you new parents are playing that tiny violin for me right now, aren't you?!!), decisions on the housing applicants, meeting with city planners, and grant seeking..

Plus I've got to build a church/ministry website this week...

And go back and preach at the home where I proclaimed that my dogs spoke to me. (See...The Mic Dropped..and went thud!)

Oh, and Joe!!

We gotta get some help for Joe, who was right in front of me at the exact time the Lord had planned because I voiced answers to the questions he'd asked the Lord just moments before. (I think he thought I was some kind of angel...but I was just a willing Christian..willing to do, go, and be what the Lord wanted me to.)

I hope everyone has a beautiful week.

And anyone interested in offering feedback on an interactive ministry website, please let me know. I'm excited about our future and the opportunity to help many more people!
















No comments:

Post a Comment