Popular Posts

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

14 Hour Day That I'd Gladly Do For 24!

This was one of those days.

The kind that started at 7 A.M. and is just now coming to an end at 9 P.M.

And I loved every minute of it.

It was one of those crazy, hard, fun, challenging, devastating, rewarding days that lets me know that I am right where God wants me to be.

I started with a trip to WalMart to buy some things for the Coffee Room at the church. I answered a barrage of calls from the moment my car cranked.

My neighbor referred a young woman to me. She was in a shelter looking for rehab then supportive housing. I made some calls to get her help. I will go to Montgomery to pick her up when she gets into a new program.

Ironically, the place I'm trying to send HER to was calling me for a copy of a group picture we took while we did a fish fry benefit for them last week-end.

I was in my gym clothes hoping to grab a quick workout before I picked up my first client to take to check in with her parole officer. I apparently spent too long shopping because I didn't have time. BUT I walked all over WalMart so that has to count, right?

I need to figure out that new FitBit I ordered. I might can do all my workouts at WalMart. Hmmm...

After the P.O. I had to bring her to the ER. She'd stepped on a nail and had an infected foot.

I dropped off her prescriptions and brought her home while I went to a meeting with the local city's economic development department.

Great meeting and once again reminded of my vow not to give up until we have not only dealt with the homeless problem but the PROBLEMS that led to homelessness.

Check on Mom who had minor eye surgery...all good there.

Talked to two of my kids. Wish I'd have been walking as closely with the Lord while they were still under my roof but I can't change that now. I'm glad they feel they can call me for spiritual advice now.

Picked up medicine, brought it back.

Brought mail to various people on streets who use our address.

Gave $5 to a local homeless guy we know who's deaf. Don't usually give money but his sign language explaining he was broke tickled me. Watched him go buy food immediately.

Fielded a few business phone calls. Was reminded of how God provided an income out of thin air allowing us to minister full-time without taking a salary from the church or ministry.

Remember my friend Jenni telling me in the beginning (when my faith was being tested): Where He leads, He feeds and Where He guides, He provides.

My response?

Yes, but...

Some faith!!

Thankfully, it has grown and I stand in awe of all He did to make this ministry happen.

Another call.

Katie ran off with an old boyfriend leaving her 5 month-old behind.

I wanted to go grab the baby and never let her go.

But the dad has her and until HE runs off too, I can't do a thing. (The crib has been assembled in my home for two months waiting on the day it's needed.)

On the way to pick up my husband to take him to get his car from the shop (same shop mine was in YESTERDAY!) I got a call from my dog groomer. She had a client whose grown son needed to go into treatment for alcoholism. None of them knew where to turn so she called me.

I was happy to help. I've just recently started using this groomer so it was great that she even knew to call me.

We had to make a couple of visits after we picked up his truck and by then I was pretty sure the gym wouldn't happen.

Yet I was just so happy today that the extra spring in my step felt like a constant workout!

(Full disclosure: I did give in to the very tempting new MnM Coffee Nut flavor candy. Actually, maybe THAT'S why I had an extra spring in my step!!)

We finally grabbed dinner in town and ran into an old and a new (but familiar) face.

One of the sisters from the giant con I'd written about a few months back was back in the area. This was the girl who lied and manipulated several people, causing a huge rift in a local church.

She actually stopped in her tracks when she saw me and started to turn around. She then acted like she didn't recognize me and walked by.

I considered calling her out but it was the spirit operating in her that needed to be addressed and it wasn't the time. Or maybe it was the time and I was disobedient. In any event, I just walked by like I didn't recognize her either. (But I didn't leave until I told the manager to watch out for her.)

I then talked to a young man who'd gotten a hothead in a local program and threatened a staff member. He was sitting on the side of the road on his suitcase, not sure where to go.

I saw a little boy, repentant and sheepish, and my heart went out. I called the program (one we work with) and "went to bat" for him. When I left they were considering letting him come back.

We made it home by nine and I put the groceries up I'd bought 12 hours earlier. (No cold stuff!)

I'm sharing my day because it's one to be shared!

And now I'm off to bed because I have to leave at 6 A.M. to see the dentist about a tooth that broke yesterday. Fortunately it doesn't hurt so for that I'm thankful!

I absolutely love my life!

I'm ready to get up tomorrow and do it all over again!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment